Thursday, April 21, 2011

Inspiration

Today I want to talk about Inspiration. We all have something, or someone that inspires us at some point in our lives. When I was younger I always looked up to my Father for how hard he works and how much fun he is to be around. But I think there comes a time in all our lives when you start to feel a change or find your meaning in life.

Before the tragic passing of my Daughter, I was determined to own a 2004 Saleen Mustang. I went to the Houston Auto Show in 2003 with my Dad and saw this amazing car there. I told my Dad, "I promise you one day I will have one of these." So I went through school and started my career as a BMW technician and had a poster taped to my tool box of a 2004 Saleen Mustang so that I knew what my ultimate goal is. Well 7 long years later, I have one sitting in my garage. Guess who drove all the way to pick it up in Albuquerque NM with me? My Dad!

The guy I bought the car from was a nice guy who shared the love for Mustangs that I do and took really good care of it. I could tell right away that he appreciated the nice things in life and didn't take them for granted. I didn't know why because he never told me, but I could tell that he had a positive outlook on life for some reason. Well today, I read on Facebook, that he posted people ask him why he is so positive all the time and you know what he said? Because when he was 16 his leg kept hurting for awhile and eventually he was diagnosed with a tumor in his leg. After months of rehab and learning how to be active again, he learned to never take things for granted. He was inspired to look at every day as a gift and now runs a mile in under 4:30.

I realized that Madison Paige Staats is that cause for me and Kellie to be inspired. I thought all day that I could not wait to get home and write this blog. I never wanted something so bad as that Saleen Mustang, and now I realize that I want to be a Daddy more. I have only had that car for about 2 months now....(got it about 3 weeks before Madison left us) but I would gladly trade it to have her back. She has inspired me to be the Daddy I was ment to be. She has opened my eyes to see what is really important in life. She has inspired Kellie to do Photography and explore her creative side. She has inspired my sister, who moved away from our family 10 years ago to move back to Houston to be with the family. She has brought so much joy and love to our family. She has inspired countless people to contact us and give us support.

I got a text today from a friend named Chris who is in the same club as me. His beautiful baby girl passed away from SIDS and he texted me today just to ask how I was doing. Through our conversation he told me that I inspire him. WOW. What a compliment. If i can inspire him to keep going another day than that is all I could ask for. Chris we have never met but you and me share a bond that I hope no other Father has to endure. I love you man and wish I could give you a big hug brother.

Thanks again for hearing me out today and for all the inspirational comments I have been getting. Thanks to my wonderful wife for encouraging me to do this so that I can help people who are in need of a fathers perspective. I love you all and hope you keep your inspiration close to you. I know I will!!!

13 comments:

Leana said...

Loss for words!!! Very well written!!!!

James said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kellie Staats said...

You are my inspiration to keep on going!

You are right honey..You were made to be a DAD! Maddie know you love her..and I know that too.

Thanks for helping me through this..I'd be lost without you!

Linda said...

James,
You did a wonderful job writing this. I am sure saying goodbye to a child has to be the most painful hurt in the world. I am the mother of two boys(men) and I think it is so important for guys to express their feelings , also. I can tell you are an amazing Dad, and I know Maddie knows that too. I follow Kellie's Blog daily and I was anxious to read yours when she mentioned it. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Kellie.

Solidea said...

Your post gave me chills!!!
Nothing to had to it!!!
You're a great Daddy and Maddie is proud of you!!! Keep being strong she will be upset if you guys are upset!!!

crystal said...

James, you couldn't have written that any better. You and Chris are great fathers. I am friends with Kellie and Lisa. You guys are truly amazing parents and an inspiration to me. I pray for you guys daily and Kellie is just an Angel. She is so sweet and I believe that God is the reason I found her because I found Kellie on accident. A friend of mine had posted something about wearing a bow in honor or Maddie and that is how I found Kellie's blog and have been a follower ever since. She and I chat from time to time and she has showed me how to be a better mommy. I thank God for her every single day. There is not a day that goes by that I don't say a prayer for you guys. Maddie will always hold a special place in my heart for she has changed me for the better. Thank you and Kellie for sharing her story with us. I two have an Angel baby but my baby didn't get to spend 4 months on Earth with me, but it still hurts adn the pain is still real so I know that you two are really hurting. I wish I could take the pain away. Keep your faith because after every valley, we have a mountain top and I know that you and Kellie are getting close to your mountain top. I am so ready to see what God has in store for you two because I know it will be something AWESOME. He doesn't put anymore on us than we can bare. Praying for you guys and I am sending up extra prayers for you two over the Holidays.

Unknown said...

Hi.. I follow your wife's blog and facebook.. And its great to hear from you as well. I've never known people with such strength. You are both very inspiring.. I cannot begin to imagine your pain. Yet you are both positive and encouraging.
I think of your family often. Madison is very lucky to have such great parents. And when the time comes, your other children will be extremely blessed.
All my love, Sarah, Australia

Stacy Lynn said...

My heart breaks for you both everytime I think of your little Madison. It is so amazing to think how someone so small could change so many lives in such a small period of time. Because of your little girl I hug and kiss my daughter just a little longer every day. She has tought so many people to be thankful for what they have & the true meaning of love. I'm sure you are so proud of your little girl and all the amazing changes she has brought to the people surrounding you. I pray that you both of much healing as your lives go on. I think my favorite part about you both is that even though she isn't here you still live through her. You haven't forgotten, and that is truely a remarkable thing. Thanks you so much for reminding us to love our babies just a little more. Stacy-
leahrhyan.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

So sweet ! I'm so sorry about your baby ! You sound like a strong , loving man . Hope it is a good weekend for you both !

Unknown said...

How greatly written that was! I follow Kellie's blog daily and it was a blessing to be able to read things from a Daddy's perspective. You are both very inspiring people. It is amazing how God works and how He has blessed so may others just by reading your blogs. I think of you and Kellie often and pray for you. May God be your light and may Maddie always watch over you! What a beautiful baby she is!

Andalasia said...

I read your wife's blog & I have to say that you & Kellie inspire me with your strength. Maddie knows she is so loved by her parents. I hope that your writing helps you find whatever you need. Best of luck in the future.

Unknown said...

You are inspiring...as a man to put his feelings out there is wonderful. Tragedy happened to your family, but you are showing all of us that it is ok to express your emotions and feelings...I follow your wifes blog and business page...

Please keep posting...More men will come to realize that it is ok to speak about their feelings & I thank you for it!!!

sweettea'smom said...

Thank you for being my family's inspiration! Because of you and your wife sharing your world with my family, we are closer, we love harder, hug longer and truly know that everyday we have our dd is a gift! Thank you!